Ofsted visited Uplands School during our penultimate week of term in July 2014. Despite a very busy week of transitions and sports day everyone ensured that the inspection team experienced the vibrant and caring community that makes Uplands such a fantastic school.
I would like to extend a big thank you to those parents and carers who completed and returned the questionnaires. We were delighted that your responses were 100% positive. The Lead Inspector commented that during his career he had never before seen a 100% positive response from parents and carers.
We are delighted to report that we are an OUSTANDING school. Ofsted recognised that the care, guidance and support at Uplands is outstanding, as is our relationship with partners and very importantly, parents and carers.
Please click here to read the full report or see below for a brief summary.
Uplands school Ofsted 2014
- Teaching is outstanding. Close teamwork between teachers and teaching assistants ensures that activities are set at the right level so that students make rapid progress.
- The sixth form in excellent. Students have extensive opportunities to prepare for the next stage of their lives.
The acheivement of pupils is outstanding
- Behaviour is outstanding.
- In the sixth form, students make exceptional progress.
- Students on learning mentor programme make rapid gains in achievement and attendance because of high levels of individual attention and relevant activities including work experience.
The quality of teaching is outstanding
- Much teaching in all key stages is outstanding with none that is less than good.
The behaviour and safety of pupils is outstanding
- The behaviour of students is outstanding. Students show a love of learning which powerfully influences their progress.
- Parents and carers, students and staff express very positive views about behaviour, recognising that it is excellent and skilfully managed.
- The school's work to keep students safe and secure is outstanding.
The leadership and management is oustanding
- The skills of the executive headteacher and operational headteacher make a powerful combination, complemented by the cohesive senior leadership team. They are fully supported by the strongly motivated staff in the pursuit of excellence for students' acheivement and personal development.
- A relentless focus on training and monitering has contributed powerfully to improvements in teaching and acheivement.
- The school engages with parents and carers deeply, leading to them holding very positive views and expressing confidence and trust in the school. One parent or carer said of her daughter 'I wish she had been here from the start'. Another said of her son 'He is the happiest I have ever seen him.'
“In this happy and welcoming school, students including sixth formers make outstanding progress”
Ofsted July 2014